"The seed of God is in us. Given an intelligent and hard-working farmer, it will thrive and grow up into God whose seed it is; and accordingly its fruits will be God-nature. Pear seeds will grow into pear trees. Nut seeds into nut trees, and God seeds into God."
- Meister Eckhart (ca. 1260 - ca. 1328)
Our Goal: Our goal is to help children deepen their relationship with God, learn about the love of Jesus Christ, and become active members of the St. John's family and the greater Christian community.
Our Vision: St John’s provides the leadership, resources and environment for all children to experience and explore God; to belong to a community where questions are honored and where friendships are built; to learn and establish lifelong spiritual practices; and to be welcomed, accepted and loved.
Input from parents is always welcome. As their children's first and best teachers, parents have a critical role in faith development. At St. John's, we see ourselves as partners with parents in helping children to develop a strong faith that will sustain them throughout their lives.
The Six Christian Life Practices...For Kids!
Our parish has adopted six Christian life practices as guidelines for life. They shape everything we do, including our faith formation programming. We want every child to learn and practice them!
- The practice of Daily Prayer-- Speaking freely to God, listening in stillness for God to speak to us, and resting in God’s beautiful presence.
- The practice of Daily Scripture Reading— Engaging curiosity, scholarship and open hearts.
- The practice of Weekly Worship— Honoring and responding to the sacred mystery of God in us as individuals and as community.
- The practice of Serving others in Christ’s name—With humility and joy, in the parish, the community and the world.
- The practice of Growing in Giving— Offering the best of who we are and what we have to God, in gratitude for the blessings bestowed upon us.
- The practice of Sharing our Faith Stories— Being able to articulate and fearlessly share the Good News of God in Christ, one’s own spiritual story and what it means to be an Episcopalian.
The Children's Formation eNews
Fall 2014 Dates
Please note: these are subject to change! Stay in touch via The Children's Formation eNews, St. John’s Friday E-Ministry, and the St. John’s website and Facebook page.
|Sunday, September 14||Second Sunday: Welcome Back! Commissioning of Sunday School Teachers|
|Sunday, September 21||
First Day of Sunday School! Catechesis of the Good Shepherd Begins at 9:15 a.m./Joyful Journey begins at 9:25 a.m.
|Sunday, October 12||Second Sunday: Blessing of the Animals|
|Sunday, October 19||Third Grade Bibles (for Parents) at 11:30 a.m. (Child care available)|
|Sunday, October 26||Third Grade Bibles (for Parents and Children) at 11:30 a.m. (Child care available)|
|Sunday, November 2||Daylight Savings Time Ends: Fall Back!|
|Sunday, November 9||Second Sunday: Third Grade Bible Presentation|
|Sunday, November 16||Whittier Book Drive Kick-off|
|Sunday, November 30||Inter-generational Advent Wreath Making Workshop at 11:30 a.m.|